New to the Audi Q8 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ty Rua

Re: This place looks quiet.....

Post by Ty Rua » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:02 pm

Come on Saint. Impressions?

Saint

Post by Saint » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:08 pm

Sorry, but of a manic couple of days. So far I've got a couple of hundred miles under my belt only, so it's very early days, but here goes....

Firstly, although it's obviously bigger than the Jag, behind the wheel it feels smaller and headier to handle. With the all wheel steering it has a smaller turning circle.

It deals with British roads much better.

Although it doesn't handle quite as well as the Jag, it's surprisingly well planted and controlled taking corners at high speeds. Not sure if or how it will let go and what would happen, but it will take more bravery than I have to offer

Road presence. Not like the Jag was lacking, but this......

It's seriously complex. I'm a bit of a tech geek and I'm struggling at the moment to get my head round everything. I'll get there.

That engine! God knows what and SQ8 will be like, but 30-70 is ridiculous.

Fuel economy is surprisingly good. Only a couple of hundred miles in and I'm running at 35mpg (and I haven't exactly been frugal so far). Have hopes that this will improve further

Overall build quality is exemplary

Will drop a full write up and hopefully some photos in the main pages in a couple of weeks

Saint

Post by Saint » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:11 pm

PS Navarra Blue with Black Pack looks phenomenal. Had all the 20- something kids at the office drooling over it today, like it was some sort of Ferrari

Ty Rua

Post by Ty Rua » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:47 pm

Its a really handsome, muscular car in the flesh. Very balanced. No shrinking violet, for sure. I've now seen a Navarra Blue - like the inkiness in low light. classy colour for sure. I too thought mid-range for the 286 engine was really good in a test drive. My A6 Allroad with the 272 bhp is acceptable. Interested in the Jag comparison. The F-Pace was exceptional on twisty roads - the best I've experienced for the size of SUV. Just could not get used to the fidgety ride, made all the worse by potholes. Do you think the all-wheel steering is an advantage? Seems reviews a bit split on the handling with AWS which switches depending on speed. Worth ordering?

I've just had prices for the Audi e-tron. Its much more than expected - over £82K for a Black Pack mid-spec car. More inclined to the Q8 on VFM , and probably a more rational choice given a range of over 600 miles v 200 miles. Decisions....

Hope you enjoy the car. Thanks for the initial impressions - hope it inspires others to post here.

Saint

Post by Saint » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:20 pm

My biggest fear was dealing with car parks - the F-pace (and the XF before it) was awful for manoeuvering into spaces , even with the larger car parks. So far, despite the extra size, this is much easier. Very planted as well at dual carriageway/motorway speeds,so for me definitely worth spending if you don't take the Vorsprung. 82k for the e-tron mid-spec is nuts, especially with the relatively limited range.

Saint

Post by Saint » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:03 pm

OK. Major gripe number 1. getting MMI setup. So far the car views correctly in MyAudi,. I can remote unlock and lock. I get lots of error messages

In MMI, it says I don't have a registered car. But when I try and add the VIN, it says it's already registered to the car.

Dealer says I should have received an authentication email, but that's not arrived.

The car has profiles active so I have myself set up and am setting up my wife - but a large element of remote access doesn't want to work. Not sure why this should be a problem as the ancient infrastructure for this hasn't changed from other models, even while the in car interface tech has changed.

I hate to say it, but the JLR system for the app stuff worked better. The car could break down, but at least the app was logged in and could tell you

Ty Rua

Post by Ty Rua » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:27 pm

I went through that with the A6. Apparently there are two myAudi apps. The original one works, the newer one doesn't recognise you fully if the first app is active with your profile. I deleted the new one. Its not sorted....

Saint

Post by Saint » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:01 pm

After a lot of faffing today, they both sort of work. The new one seems to have more functionality but seems very prone to not working properly. The old one seems a bit pointless

Trying to plan a route on mobile and transfer to the car seems impossible. Going to have a play with Android Auto in the next week to see if that's a better solution

Ty Rua

Post by Ty Rua » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:32 pm

Could never do a route transfer on myAudi 1 or 2. Have kept v1 in preference.

Saint

Post by Saint » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:47 pm

The old app tells me to use the new app, and tells me off if I try and ignore that advice. Fewer error messages today - the system seems to take a while to get fully co-ordinated. Odd for a cloud service

Return to “Introductions”